Tall Tree Property Owners Association
60 Cypress Creek Drive • Mount Vernon, TX 75457 •  (903) 860-2694



POA Meeting Minutes

POA Budget


About Tall Tree POA
    POA Meetings
    Women's Club
    Swimming Pool/Tennis
    Trash Disposal
    Septic System Information

POA Policy
    Off Road Vehicles
    Dog Leash Rules
    Burning Regulations

    Rental Property Information

Fees and Rentals
    Maintenance Fees/Assessments
    Permit Fee Schedule
    Permit Applications
    Club House Rental
    Trailer Storage Rental
    Sign Permit

Privately Owned Property for Sale

Articles of Incorporation
Restated Restrictions and Covenants

Restated By-Laws 

Tall Tree Community Policies
Photo Gallery

    Tall Tree on Facebook
    Franklin County Water District
    USGS Web Site for Cypress Springs
Texas Parks and Wildlife
    East Texas Guidel
    Franklin Co. Extension Service
    Franklin Co. Chamber of Commerce


                                                     TALL TREE POA BOARD MEETING
                                                              January 9, 2018

Tall Tree Board of Directors met in Regular Session, January 9, 2018 at 5:30 p.m. in the Tall Tree Clubhouse located at 60 Cypress Creek Dr.

Call to Order:  President Ed Claypool called the Tall Tree Board of Directors meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. 

Introduction of Guests:  Bill Miller, Richard Hamrick, Chris Glenz, Mark Jackson

Roll Call of Officers: Board Members: Ed Claypool, President; Sandy Stephens, Ed Loutherback and Michael Morgan, Second Vice President/Architectural Control Committee Chairman. Julie Boyd joined the Board Meeting by phone; and Ridley Briggs was out of town. Property Manager Anthony Nelson and Office Assistant Donna Gunn were also present.

Property Owner Open Forum:  Chris Glenz asked the Board about future costs associated with the repair/replacement of the retaining wall at the end of Windy Point, and asked if a Contract could discharge future obligations.

Approval of November Minutes:  Approval of Minutes from December 2017.
President Ed Claypool asked the Board for objections or comments to anything in the December 2017 Minutes.
Motion to approve by Ed Loutherback, and seconded by Michael Morgan.  Unanimously approved.

Officer Reports:  Treasurer Report: Anthony Nelson (in Ridley Briggs absence)

  • December Cash Flow report was presented to the Board.  Beginning Balance Operating account end of November was $38,648.20, Income December was $4,604.41 and Expenses were $16,441.11. Savings Accounts are approximately $178,959.95, which includes South Road Assessment, General Roads, Retaining Wall, Special Projects, and North Road Assessment.  The Month of November had a Cash Flow of ($11,508.39).  
  • C.D. Balances when added to the Savings Accounts balances, the total was $331,851.44.


Committee & Other Reports:  

Maintenance:  Anthony Nelson suggested to the Board that if they decide to replace some of the funds used for the Clubhouse Repair and the Retaining Wall replacement, that a $10,000.00 c.d. be purchased for 5 years in order to get a higher rate of return.  Another suggestion is that the Board consider that since FDIC Insurance covers accounts up to $250,000.00 that consideration be given to moving some of Tall Tree’s Funds to a separate Financial Institution to make sure they are all covered, since at certain times of the year Tall Tree’s balance might be over that amount.

Anthony is suggesting that Camera’s be placed at each gate, electric powered, 64 gigs which could run 16 days (24X7) without service. These cameras are $115.00 each, and we already have electricity at each gate.  Signs placed that would notify Property Owners of a camera are around $17.00 each. 



Anthony also placed liens on several properties in Tall Tree that are not paying their Maintenance / Road Assessment dues; and is recommending 5 properties to the Board for foreclosure.  B. F. Hicks is working on a price point to present to the Board for each foreclosure.

Mark Jackson reported to the Board the work done by the Assessment Structure Committee.  They considered several things, all including the North / South / East Properties.
            Fairness / Likely to Comply / Adds Value to Tall Tree P.O.A.
            How do other Communities do it? 
New Committee Members Mike Stephens, Richard Hamrick, Charles Dunkin, and Ed Loutherback to join Mark and Diane Williams to work on the Assessment Structure.  How we got to where are now is important for Tall Tree Property Owners to understand…and any recommendations brought to the Board will include observations and research from all Committee Members.
President Ed Claypool explained why the Board was interested in getting a recommendation from the Assessment Structure Committee; including the fact that the Board will be planning what they want to do over the next few months to make Tall Tree one of the best properties on the Lake; and the costs for those things, and working to revise the current Budget to include those items.  Which will most certainly include more income, as the current Budget is restricted to historical amounts because of finances.  Costs keep increasing, but Tall Tree has not raised fees for several years.  Property Manager Anthony Nelson commented that the changes need to be sent out in the June Newsletters, and spoken about in the October Annual Meeting.

2018 Budget -  Tall Tree Board Members reviewed each line item in last years Budget, and discussed current needs, and made changes where needed.  The entire Budget approved by the current Board will be posted on the www.talltreepoa.com website.
Michael Morgan motioned to go with amounts discussed and agreed with; and Ed Loutherback seconded the motion.  Unanimously approved.

Roads – President Ed Claypool presented a 2018 plan to the Board for work to be done in Tall Tree, which includes $171,883.50 for 2” Overlay; and $30,901.50 for ChipSeal and Milling at a cost of $23,665.02.  Total Road Work to be done at a cost of $226,450.02. The Road Committee will also be meeting with other Lake Communities hoping to include their work to drop the total costs to Tall Tree. 
Ed Claypool motioned that an RFQ (Request for Quotes) be sent out to various Companies, and Michael Morgan seconded that motion.  Unanimously approved.

President Ed Claypool showed a Power Point Presentation that Julie Boyd and Sandy Stephens compiled about Lake Communities including entrances and amenities offered.  A detailed report will be presented by Julie Boyd at the February Board Meeting. The Board hopes to improve the appearance of Tall Tree entries; which includes the center median at the Main Entrance which has been hit several times and is difficult to maintain in a beautiful condition.
Ed Loutherback motioned to remove center median/flower bed from the main entrance to Tall Tree.  Michael Morgan seconded that motion.  Unanimously approved.

New Business:  Ed Claypool stated that it has been three years since we have done any review of our Insurance Coverage, and he feels that Current Insurance needs to be reviewed to make sure we have what Tall Tree needs, and to propose RFQ’s to be sent to different Companies to see if pricing can be reduced.  Michael Morgan and Tim Doell will be heading that research.

Also, Michael Morgan will be contacting FCWD to get new maps showing what is actually Leaseback Property and what is not.  Recent Property Sales have not matched our current plat maps.



Ed Loutherback commented that previous Boards had wanted to review controls as to how   Tall Tree Income is handled in the Office to make sure all funds are handled in a proper manner.
He asked Richard Hamrick to Chair the Committee, and expects Ridley Briggs and Anthony Nelson to be on the Committee.  I suggested Michael Morgan’s wife Jennifer, as she is an Auditor by trade.  Ed Claypool asked if the Board could expect a Report in Three Months which laid out Procedures and Checks which would insure Tall Tree’s Funds are handled in a proper and safe manner.

Motion to adjourn by Michael Morgan, Seconded by Ed Loutherback and Sandy Stephens.

Ed Claypool then mentioned that he had forgotten to ask the Board if they had further comments, and Sandy Stephens commented that she would like to see this Board consider Strategic Planning looking ahead 5 years or 10 years, instead of just year to year budgeting for that coming year, never having enough money to do new things.  

7:50 Adjourned

Submitted by:
Donna Gunn
Office Assistant